FROM CLARK NEXSEN:
We seek to hire an Architectural Intern to work in our Washington, DC office who will perform architectural design and documentation services on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various aspects of architectural design as directed by a Senior Architect, Architect or Design Manager including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analyses, calculations, systems selection and layout for building design
- Preparation of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Coordination and communication with design team members to ensure the architectural design details integrate properly with the work of all other project disciplines
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Performing various services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing various services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learn and implement department and company standards
- Develop analysis and design skills
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Architects, Architects, Managing Principals and senior management
- Working with a team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Architect or Senior Architect tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Drafting of marked-up plans, partial plans, sections, details
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Architect
- Developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the structure with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Senior Architect
- Developing design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Assisting with building systems calculations and LEED templates
- Participate in building system selections
- Participate in building code analysis process
- Participate in development of discipline specifications
- Coordinating work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- May require domestic and foreign travel
- Bachelor of Architecture from an NAAB-accreditedprogram -or-
- Masters of Architecture (MA must be from an NAAB-accredited program)
Eligibility: Students who expect to graduate with their professional degree by June 1, 2016 are eligible to apply for this position.
Licenses, Certifications and Accreditations
- Eligible for and actively pursuing registration as a licensed Architect
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP accreditation is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
An Architectural Intern should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
One previous architectural internship or relevant design experience is preferred
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Display abilities to work well with others in a team environment
Selection will be based on your application, resume, and portfolio. In order to be considered, you will need to follow a 2 step process.
- Complete and submit on-line application. Do NOT attach your portfolio to this application (our server system cannot process it). Please DO attach your resume to this application.
Prepare and electronically submit your portfolio via email to N2016email@example.com.
The parameters for this submission are as follows:
- Single file in PDF format
- Portfolios must be submitted electronically. We will NOT accept or consider hard copy portfolios.
- No page limits, provided that the file size restrictions are met
- Maximum File Size:10 MB
Clark Nexsen is an international full service architectural and engineering design firm that is deeply committed to providing design excellence to U.S. and global clients. Clark Nexsen was ranked 11th on the 2013 Architect 50, a list of top firms in the U.S., and in the Top 20 Architecture/Engineering firms in Building Design + Construction’s 2014 Giants 300 Report. The firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 475 employees in 10 additional office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, and Washington, D.C. Our employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development, and have been recognized locally as one of the “Best Places to Work”. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work – our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.