The buildingcommunityWORKSHOP ([bc]) is a nonprofit community design center seeking to improve the livability and viability of communities through the practice of thoughtful design and making. [bc] is currently seeking an associate to work on city design and civic engagement projects as part of the People Organizing Place team in the Washington, DC office.
Position Title: Design Associate
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: March, 2016
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
People Organizing Place (POP) is the participatory city shaping initiative of [bc]. In collaboration with designers, professionals, nonprofits, and citizen groups, POP positions local stakeholders as experts to proactively shape their neighborhood’s future.
The associate will support POP in Washington DC as a team member on two, year long initiatives.
- Support the development of a large city wide planning initiative focused on building increased cultural participation as well as developing innovative methodologies to support creative economies.
- Support in the development of creative placemaking initiatives within select neighborhoods.
This position will be under the supervision of [bc]’s Washington DC Associate Director, Omar Hakeem; Senior Public Designer, Lizzie MacWillie; and Managing Director, Thor Erickson. There will be performance reviews at 6 months and 1 year.
- Undergraduate degree in urban design, urban planning, landscape architecture, architecture or related field
- 1+ years of professional experience
- Strong visual communication skills and graphic talent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Comfort with public speaking
- Experience in planning + managing events
- An undying passion for cities, and hearty work ethic
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Spanish proficiency
- Experience with direct civic engagement, including but not limited to: organizing a design charrette or workshop, hosting a community forum.
- Fluency in GIS and AutoCAD
- Healthcare coverage paying 100% of the Blue Cross Blue Shield HSA Plan for you as an individual.
- Reimbursement not to exceed $500 for moving expenses;
- Annual reimbursement of $500 for professional development;
- 80 hours paid vacation & 40 hours sick leave;
- 5 paid holidays (Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day);
- 40 hours paid summer break & 40 hours paid winter break (organization determines date of these breaks)
Position is full time employment with residency/work in Washington, D.C.
buildingcommunityWORKSHOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please email interest letter, resume, and work samples (10mb maximum file size) to: Trena Lechleitner (no phone calls please) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “2016 POP Planning Associate” in the subject line of your email.